Monday, February 4, 2008

HaPPy BirthDAY MoM S!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAWNSTER!
I remember when I was making the decision to marry Dan, that I told him that I would marry him for his mother. Dan's mom is one of the most 'Christ-Like' people I have met. She is slow to anger, quick to forgive and forget, she ALWAYS gives everyone the benefit of the doubt, and always tries to see the other persons perspective (except for Hilary Clinton- ha ha).

She LIVES for her children (and now grandchildren) and will probably die for them too. She serves and is concerned about her children 24-7. She does most the cleaning and the cooking, and irons everyones shirts and pants (all by her choice, not because she is forced too). She wants what is BEST for her children. She lives on little sleep(it is almost as bad as my freshman year at BYU). She has child-like faith and is absolute in her belief. She is guileless. She has a personal realtionship with her Savior and prays to him often in all of our behalf. Most the time, the things she prays for come to pass. She does not doubt or waver. She always bears her testimony to her family and friends.
Her and I have a unique realtionship, the horror stories you hear of in-laws is foreign to us. She treats me as her equal and a friend. We can talk for hours about anything. We have been on trips alone together-to BYU womens conference, a LONG car trip to Houston, and I am sure a few more memorable moments. We can go shopping, to conferences, drs. appointments. I welcome her presence in our home.
She LOVES her grandchildren (however it has been FUN getting two girls this last year! Lola and Dacie) She has been to help for a majority of our children's births, and in fact, was there in the delivery of Ryland's. She tries to accomodate her schedule so she can be with her grandchildren, and so Dan and I can get away (at least, once a year). We left our 2 boys with her for a week while moving from Houston. She always insists we go away for a weekend on our anniversary. She allows us to attend the temple once a month, and tries to attend some sports games and birthdays at our home. We lived with her for three months while trasitioning from graduate school and a clinical in Phoenix. It was not hard. She works hard at whatever she does and gives 110%. Whether it be at the dental office where she works full-time, or in church callings. She even offered to work extra so we could live in a SAFE apartment complex in Houston that cost more (we did not let her). She hardly thinks of herself.



She is artistic and creative. She is an undercover painter and you can see some of her art work hanging in her home. She loves the arts and music. She loves geneology. She loves connecting people to people (who knows who and how).



She is also a devoted daughter, sister, and wife. She manages to keep in contact with everyone and make trips to help her mom and plan reunions, or to spend time with her sisters. She is always entertaining in her home for family and welcomes ANY form of family there.



She treats her childrens freinds with kindness. She feeds many of them and welcomes them into her home all hours of the night and day~ and even cleans up after most of them.



She travels with her hubby, holds his hand and kisses him after every meal prayer.



She is always making and buying thoughtful gifts (like for our anniversary one year, she wrote out every journal entry she had written about meeting me, and Dan and I getting married).She has provided a majority of my kids cute clothes.



I know she sounds too good to be true, BUT she is REAL, and so very genuine. She is our mom and Grandma. My family and I are blessed to have her here on earth. We are grateful she gets a day to celebrate her!



Happy Birthday Grandma!





5 comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

As someone who is not blessed with this gift, please consider this one of your greatest blessings. I always wanted to marry into a family that I could look to as an example of Christ-like living but the Lord saw fit for me to marry a "pioneer" in his own rite.

Bless your dear sweet mother-in-law and may you pass this precious gift and relationship on to your own children.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

SOOOOO sweet! I'm lucky to have met her a few times as well--and I can tell all the things you say about her are true! That BOM program she helped put on was PHENOMENAL, and she was so sweet to my little rebel brother. =)

Marcus, Amy, and Lola said...

this is so sweet! no wonder youre my mom's favorite :) (jk mom if youre reading this...and if you are, Happy Birthday! We love you too!)

Dawn said...

Wow!!! How could you not be the favorite daughter-in-law?! Someday, I hope you will have some competition...nothing personal...I just hope my other 3 sons will get married!!! You might have some company in the not too distant future...I cannot tell you how sweet and special your comments were, and I really am not that good, but we really do have a very special relationship for which I am very grateful. I love you as a daughter...and I DO NOT have favorites, Amy!!! By the way, Texastwinstwice...how is your rebel brother? I loved working with him...he is a wonderful kid! (probably wouldn't like me calling him a kid...) Thanks to all of you for your kind words; you have helped to make my birthday special. Please thank your boys for the wonderful rendition of Happy Birthday...I loved it! Lots of love from the "too good to be true mother-in-law!"

Ian, Jessica, Halle, Camdyn, and Quinn! said...

I could not agree more! Dawn is the greatest! What a special blog for her! She is the best!!!!!