Friday, March 28, 2008

Bummer Week!

This week has been a little bit hard on me, especially after the last fun week I just had
Here is why:1. I have started a cleansing diet, which isn't so bad --BUT it is pretty hard core and eliminates allot of my comfort food that I would love to enjoy during stress. However, the blessing is: even in the short week I have done it my summer clothes are fitting a little better after a FAT winter
2. I started toilet training Ryland the exact day I started the cleansing process. I HIT toilet training HARD (we LIMIT activities and are home bound) and it is do or die! Patience was thin--if you ask me any day of the year I rank toilet training right up there on the list of my least favorite things to do.
The blessing: Ryland really has only had one BAD day and averages about one accident a day, and has gone a day and half w/ perfection (I have learned not to celebrate too early however)

3.Yesterday I held our last baby chick as it was dying (I will post a blog about the whole affair) It was heart wrenching and I have not cried that HARD in a LONG time.

The Blessing: I really believe that now my sons have a different perspective on the value of life in even the smallest creatures, and I had a tender, neat experience with prayer with the boys, the spirit was there.

4. I called home and found out this news last night: (Email sent out this morning attached below)

Blessing: My father is a walking miracle and continues to walk AND I have family that would drop everything to be together and help each other (Thanks Mind and Jas)

The Email sent by my mother this morning-

Thought you should know: Kent has been doing great with his new knee, cancer remission etc, but last night at the end of Brendon's volleyball game at Elk Grove, he started to have horrific head pains. Not any different than the ones most of you have seen at some point. He still usually (but not always) has a few days of pains each month. Actually hydrocodone has seemed to help in most cases. Last month he did have to lay on the floor for awhile and they were stronger than normal. However, last night they escalated very quickly. He went out for fresh air and it didn't help. He came back in and within a few min. he went white and looked like he'd pass out. He was too weak to get up or go to the car and his head was literally exploding with pain. I had him put his head down and then he put his head on my lap. I didn't realize at first that he was passed out until I saw his arm hanging limp twitching. By calling his name, slapping his face and shaking him, there was still no response. I couldn't go get help either, because he was on my lap. Some girls finally noticed (luckily the match was over by now), and got Brendon's attention. I was hoping he could help Kent out to the car. No such luck. He was out cold. Then people really started noticing. Two men hopped down. I remained calm and giggly (I laugh when I'm uncomfortable). They helped put Kent out on the floor gently. He did NOT want to call 911 because of insurance reasons. (He told me this before he passed out) However, he was not doing well at all. In about a 20 min. span he came too partially twice and went into convulsions and immediately passed out again. A woman in the crowd said I'm calling 911 anyway. So we had the high school gym full of people, the fire truck and ambulance, etc. Brendon is pretty stoked he'll be popular at school today. (Just a light side touch) I was on the phone with 911 and the two men from the crowd stayed with Kent following the directions of the 911 call until the paramedic showed up. The paramedics checked him out and of course asked questions. A lady ran Brendon home to get the name of his neurosurgeon and other info we didn't have with us. Kent came too partially again with oxygen and some other things, but when they tried to sit him up, he convulsed and went big time out again. It took 6 men to get him on the gurney. The ambulance took him to the hospital. I went to drop off Brendon and follow, but realized Kent had our car keys in his pocket in the ambulance. Amberlyn came to the rescue and brought us keys and took Brendon home and took care of dinner and the family. By the time I got to the hospital, his home teachers were there. They gave him a blessing later on when they let us in. They did not let me go in until he was registered and all fixed up. A little disturbing since I had the medical info they needed and the neurosurgeons request was to get a CT scan WHILE he was having an episode. Didn't fall in their protocol. Kent was in and out of consciousness for a total of 40 min. to an hour. Longer than he's ever been. I felt very calm and peaceful, but concerned at the same time that this episode may not turn out ok as far as being alive, or not having permanent brain damage. However, he slowly came out of it and by the time they let me see him, he was fully conscious and could talk- although still in lots of pain and not really ok. His normally very low blood pressure was high and his blood oxygen was very bad. Mindy and Jason also got wind and came to the hospital and stayed with me several hours. They stayed until after midnight so we could sing happy birthday to Mindy. We thought it fitting for Kent and I to be in the hospital with her on her birthday as that was the setting of her birth. ha They ran several blood tests and a CAT scan. Nothing critical or abnormal that they could see was there. (Besides all the shunts and several things they don't understand of course) They kept us there until morning, making sure Kent was stable and ok and let us out around 2 am. We need to contact his neurosurgeon and follow up. Sometimes when this is this severe, he will have continued days of problems. I need to keep an eye on him. The one possibility they could come up with first hand, may be that his shunts may be working too good now, as his spinal fluid in his brain (ventricles) is very low. I say- rip em out. We shall see. We are home doing fine. Just thought the family should be aware and ask that you remember Kent and the family in your prayers. We'll keep you posted. Most likely he will be fine again- who knows maybe for years. Once again, your son, dad, brother, uncle or whatever relation he is. is a walking miracle. I'm grateful he's still around. We have too much in our life to get straightened out for me to do it solo.... but we don't really get to choose that either do we? I do count my blessings. Lots of love, Jeanie

5. It is my sisters birthday and my daughter has formed and unnatural attachment to me, as well as discovered a high pitch scream in protest. This has ALL been since her first birthday. I just always remember the kids getting a little easier, not worse after year?!!!! It is my sisters b-day today and I will NOT have time to get the photos and thoughts collected until, that daughter of mine, is asleep for the evening!! Not much gets done anymore

The blessing: I got my girl that my heart has always desired. She is the healthiest of the bunch, and she LOVES me and I LOVE her!


Allergy medicine and emotions have me pretty tired today. Not to mention trying to get stuff together to sell at a garage sale, help sell the items, and bury a chick at the pet cemetery by the river on my list of things to do today. Oh well, we are going to the temple tomorrow and the whole world will be brighter after! I am really OK, just tired! DUH-that is the number 1 symptom of motherhood!


mjs ashworth said...

Wow Alicia sounds like the rough couple of days! I think everythink is harder when you can't have a little chocolate to cheer you up. I am glad your Dad is okay, and I know your sister will understand if her bday post is a day late, it just means she can celebrate an extra day! Keep your head up things will only get better!!

Angie said...

Amen to the comment above.

I want to hear the chick story. Didn't you start with 3 last week?

Love the Easter pics down below. What a darling little fam!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Sorry to hear about your dad Alicia. It does sound miraculous that he was able to get through all that in one piece! Poor guy! Also--i'm with you on the depravation stuff--i've gone this week w'out treats & it is HARD. it's definitely going on my blog. loved the pic of the teddy on the pot instead of Ryland. I'm sure he'll thank you someday! =)

peterson pack said...

I am so sorry about your week! I am starting my no treats this week, so I will soon feel your pain. Natalie did the same thing just after she turned 18 months, she is getting better. But I have to be way more consistent at my expectations with her than the boys. And toilet training, wow!!! Ryland is doing great! Way better than my last experience. We will keep our fingers crossed for you. I am glad your dad is okay. I will remember him in my prayers. The Lord is truly mindful of what we can handle each day. Hang in there, you are a great example for me, I love your dedication and determination to be the best you can.

Dawn said...

Wow! I finally got to read all about your fun week while your folks were in Cottonwood! You did lots of fun things; and I'm glad the trailer worked out well for you. That was really nice of your friends to let you use it. Thanks again for coming down at Easter, and again this weekend. We had a good time with the kids. I am glad your dad is doing okay, and I hope he stays that way! Hope Ryland is continuing to do GREAT THINGS on the toilet! He was great at my house! Give them all a hug and kiss from Grandma S...I loved their Easter pics too! See you soon!
Love, Grandma S

RC Henderson, Inc. said...

i am sorry you had a tough week but i am glad that your diet is producing results. i can never make any of them work, i am just starving all the time. good for you!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I had no idea your dad was dealing with all those health issues! I'm glad Mindy is close enough to be able to help. Has your dad's name been placed on the temple prayer roll lately?