Sunday, December 2, 2007

I'm SO MAD!

A few weeks ago I took all these pictures of our beautiful roses! After breaking down and paying to get some landscaping done on our yard this spring, we had some rose bush trees put along our newly "paved" walkway. They were so small when they arrived, that I was skeptical that the price we purchased them for would ever be seen in their beauty. We are not short on sunshine here, and with a new sprinkler system put in, water was not in short supply either. They blossomed..literally, and we enjoyed roses most of the summer. However, I did not know that it would continue on in the fall. With the warm fall (being much cooler then the summer sun) the rose trees went nuts, I think they appreciated the cooler sunshine and still the water!!
The orangish-yellow rose below was my favorite bush and color...and thus the reason for my recent anger.
After the majority of our landscaping was finished late spring, our landscaper got extremely busy, so the loose ends never got tied up, that is, until two days ago. He came!!! IT was a good day. Around Halloween we had a good wind storm and it snapped one of the stakes that held up our rose tree. I went on the hunt to find a newer sturdier stake, which you would think would be fairly simple, but after two stores (not much more variety than that around here) and speaking with the head gardeners at both-we stole a stake from some 'other' plants and rang it up. I proudly came home and told Dan about my find, and left it up to him to stake it again. Well, with hunting season and holidays and anniversary-he has not been home much on the weekends (the time he typically gets yard work done-b/c it is too dark by the time he gets home most days). So the bush has stayed stake-less.
Well, when the landscaper arrived he went above and beyond the loose ends (I think to make up for being so slow). He fixed some of his pavers, leaking water, a broken water pipe, placed in more lights, and circled the trees with metal trimming so that I would not mow the drip line heads off (he replaced the one I had mowed off!-oops!), He also re-staked the rose bush for us (w/out the need for my stake!) I was happy- Then the rain came and the wind blew. Our warm fall turned into a cold winter almost overnight (it was so bad they cancelled the towns x-mas parade). The rains saturated the ground which loosened the stakes (especially since the bushes had grown so much). I looked out the window the second day when it was so windy and saw all the rose bushes really blowing low to the ground. Dan called me from work and I told him they looked like they would break, which he reassured me they would be fine. So lo and behold-the next time I looked out my window MY FAVORITE ROSE BUSH had snapped in HALF!! AAAAAH!
I wanted to blame someone and everyone all at the same time. I called the landscaper who told me he had seen the broken stake and had tied it back to the broken piece (not replaced it with a new stake) and that a new bush is a nice $65. I was mad b/c he guarantees his plants and I felt justified in thinking that includes our human mistakes. I was also mad because he had given the 'appearance' of it being fixed-so I rest assured it was tied to something.
Then I was mad b/c Dan's boss had called a last minute conference/training for work this weekend. So he was working on a Saturday when he is usually at home working-and would have seen the bushes bending as I had, and probably done something about it. I was mad at Dan for being gone so much that the problem was not fixed when it originally had happened, and for giving me a false sense of security about the plants sturdiness when I did tell him what was happening.
Then I was mad at myself for not just doing it myself like I had planned and told myself to do on so many occasions (especially when I looked out the window)- self reliance girl. Then I was mad because I felt like so much responsibility has been placed on my shoulders for the care of the home and our children-and that I rarely find time to also take on the outside. However, with my LOVE of gardening and being outdoors I have electively taken on most the mowing and some other work on the yard. So when this happened I felt some responsibility for it happening, and then anger for being so overwhelmed trying to do it all-inside, outside and children!
I know it is only a small thing and should not cause so much turmoil. I just think it was the thing that broke the camels back. I know we will be able to replace it eventually...but will have to sacrifice something else, AFTER we already had a beautiful tree. Then I worry about it not being the right size and color to match the other ones.
Anyways-even if my anger is justified, it's happened and there is no use crying over spilled milk. I just have to let it go-So there it goes!!! Now that I got in on paper-ThaNks!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Girl, I am so sad about your rose tree! you know it's my favorite color, too! (Remember Preference and how Brian Bart. gave me that color and I was in HEAVEN?!) You crack me up! I love to see that you can put into words what I feel so many times every day!0) You're the best and you CAN do it!!! Love ya! Sister Ha/Ax (Erin)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Harvey- I am so glad you are alive!! Update your blog too!I may regret being so honest one day...but it is really how I felt-ha ha ha

Unknown said...

Hi Alicia, I cannot believe how grown up you older 2 boys are. You asked me on my blog how I let people know that I have updated and there is a place on the dashboard in settings to give the email addresses of people that will be sent a notification each time you publish. (On the downside, if say you publish and then correct a sentence and then republish and then realize you left out a word and then republish and then realize the pictures are out of order and then republish and on and on-- They will get an email each and everytime you hit that publish button. And so your mom or someone might mention to you that they recieved 20 emails this morning about your 1 post, hypothetically speaking, of course. )

The other way is through the RSS feed. It is the orange satelite / asterish symbol on the top right in Internet Explorer. When someone clicks on it they are given the option of subscribing to your blog as a feed. Then the blog is listed in the feeds tab (click on the star in the upper left corner of Internet explorer and you'll see 2 lists, favorites and feeds). Once they have subscribed, each user can determiine how often the computer will check for any updates and then it is listed in bold. Or you can do like I do which is each morning, right click on the first one and select refresh all and it will go to all your feeds and let you know who has updated. It is way faster than keeping a list of blogs and clicking on each one just to see if they have updated. Hope this helps. I may do a post about feeds soon, I have been working on one for a while. People always ask me about them.

Erin said...

Hey!
Did you ever find out if you can back up your blog anywhere?
I did make our Halloween costumes by the way...
Ha/Ax

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Jamie- thank you! I have to laugh at the 20 times thing-b/c it would happen to me!
Erin-My friend above told me that you can google search publishing your blogs into a book (which would be prime...like maybe every year or something). I am currently going to the posts and clicking on edit-then I click on preview and copy and paste it into a word document. It copies the pictures but I erase those b/c I do not think those work out in emails. So I have written copies of all of them w/ no illustrations. Does this help?

TexasTwinsTwice said...

awww this stinks! those roses were sooo beatutiful. it's amazing if they were just planted this year!