Saturday, January 5, 2008

DaCiE is sick AgAiN!!!

So I am on my SiCkNeSs soap box once again--
All our family has been dealing with the winter congestion for quite sometime- nasty coughs, runny noses, headaches, sore throats, etc.. It seems like one of the kids gets a little better and then catches it again from another . While we were at Dan's family's home Dacie started showing signs of congestion returning...sure enough on Thursday 1/3/08, when we had our return appointment scheduled at the pediatrician to see if her and Sterling's last infections had cleared from 2 weeks ago (One Saturday awhile back Sterling went NUTS, so we took him to an urgent care where he was placed on serious antibiotics for a bad double ear infection, since Sterling had just gotten off a dose of antibiotics for his strep throat)~ Dacie began not sleeping well, shorter than short naps, crying, hanging on my pants, and a fever. Sure enough she has a bad ear infection AGAIN!! This girl has been on antibiotics since October, on and off. We get her well for about a week and congestion returns (we did have a happier than happy baby on Christmas-so we are not complaining), which promptly turns into ear infections for her (luckily, Sterling's had cleared). The doctor told me that she would be my sickest child following her three other siblings. She (the pediatrician) also recommended that I shower and change all of the kids clothes when they get home from school (yeah right). Sooo we are doing the best we can, within reason, and I finally made my own little oxygen tent in her room around her crib. Hopefully so she can breathe a little easier and sleep better? I used any piece of plastic we own. It is kind of ghetto and our humidifier is broken (weaker than weak steam), but it is better than nothing-I say!! Well, here is to health and strength in 2008 and grateful for antibiotics!

9 comments:

Marcus, Amy, and Lola said...

Ahhh! I am so sorry!
We just found out Lola has a double ear infection (no wonder she was fussy over christmas). We took her in for her diarrhea and found out. She was alright that day, but last night was SO bad. She was up every hours just screaming and she has been so fussy and sad today. It is such a horrible feeling when you cannot do anything for your baby and they just feel so crappy!
I hope Dacie feels better soon. Do you know any tricks to help them sleep better or just feel a little better? Shes on amoxicilling (for two days now), tylenol, and numbing ear drops. It doesn't help that her bum is raw either and she is super gassy.
Wow...this is a long comment!

Sunshine Promises said...

Oh my goodness, does this sound familiar! Actually, our kids have never been happier and healthier since Gracelyn's team of doctors quarantined us after Gracie's prolonged stay at Riley's Childrens Hospital. But, I HAVE learned a few things through this trying experience:

1 - Gracelyn's Respatory Therapists all told us that humidifiers are cesspools for spreading germs/sickness . . . news to me since I had grown up using one and had been using one to aid in congestion for all our children's illnesses. So, that went in the trash.

2 - The old-time fable: wash, wash, wash - but when you're not near a sink, bring sanitizer (in your purse, car, etc.)

3 - I don't know how old your little Dacie is but is she by chance in nursery? That is where Gracelyn came down with illness after illness. Try talking with your ward nursery leader to see if they would be willing to "lay down the law" with not allowing sick kids in nursery and spraying down the toys with Lysol disinfectant before and after each week of usage. If you'd rather not do that, just take her out until the end of cold and flu season. Little ones immune systems can only fight infection so much before their bodies wear down and they become even more suseptable to serious illnesses.

Take it for what it's worth. I was NEVER a germ-o-phobe until our recent scare with Gracelyn and now she has a hole in her lung, a large abscess and reduced lung capacity and we have to be on high-alert 24-7.

Best of luck! I'll keep you and your family's health in our prayers!

mjs ashworth said...

What a nightmare! Savoy is coming down with something, so I in the smallest i mean smallest way can feel your pain! I can't believe the doc actually thinks you can fit in an extra shower and change of clothes in a day??? Craziness!! Good luck you are in my thoughts!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Amy- dont; care about LONG responses. I LOVE it. I responded to the sicky question on your blog! LOVE you
Amanda- Thanks for the hints. Infections ARE a scary thing. Too bad we can;t put our babies in bubbles!
Jessica-Hug Savoy, LOVE medicine!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oh that stinks!!! I'm sorry to hear that Alicia. You are very creative with the tent/humidifier thing! We had our humidifier going a while back in our babies' room & every time I went in there it felt like Houston! =)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

love the new background by the way--you did it! =) i told you that girl explains it soo well huh?!

mjs ashworth said...

love the new template!!!

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

i am sorry, this sucks! I heard if they keep getting lots of ear infections you could do some minor surgery to take care of it. but i am sure this is not something you want to hear right now.

Sorry

PS shower all of them after school?! is she crazy?! maybe if you had 48 hours in one day...

Charie and Jonathan Francom said...

Sounds so familar and I feel your pain sister!