Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy MLK DAY!

Since it was a "holiday" from school
AND...
the plans we had made with some other families got cancelled, due to the stomach flu (Colton got it early Sunday morning) and the rain
~
AFTER my drs. appointment (I DO NOT have gestational diabetes-YEAH!)
was through--I came home and started the whole process of baking, rolling, cutting, and icing sugar cookies (my Grandma Roths...from scratch, recipe) WITH THE KIDS!
OF COURSE , they ALL loved it-hands on!

OF COURSE, it made a HUGE mess



AND OF COURSE, it took a majority of the day in different shifts to FINISH!
(think we got a little carried away with sprinkles and candy hearts?)
and OF COURSE, we all ate too much sugar that day and eve
Guess what our FHE treats were that night?
~
That night we had our traditional Martin Luther King Family Home Evening.
This time, we got to listen to the actual radio broadcast the day he passed away.
We also got to listen to some of his accomplishments
AND talk about being bullied, how to react, how do we treat others that are different then
us...etc.
Overall, it was a pretty successful day despite the weather and sickness!
(the boys are really into drawing portraits of people after Sterling's art class focused on it-here is a Colton creation from our FHE lesson)

4 comments:

Dawn said...

what a fun mom you are! Looks like the kids had a great time! And as usual, you do a great job with the FHE lessons! see you soon!

The Stewart Stuff said...

What a fun mom you are!!! Love the cookies and the FHE.

Allison Barry said...

you are so great at FHE. I truly hope to be like you in that aspect.

Angie said...

You are so great at doing fun holiday stuff with kids at your house. I want to be like that too when my kids get a bit older.

Also, I LOVE your blog layout. My old layout disappeared one day, so I've been boring old white for a while. I can't for the life of me remember how to change the background anymore. How can I learn? Is it hard?