Monday, August 17, 2009

The Heavens are a Little Bit Brighter

(Bert Ray Sorensen holding Colton Ray Sorensen during our x-mas visit to Winslow while we lived in Houston)
Last week we received a phone call telling us that Dan's Grandfather had unexpectedly passed away. Our hearts ached, but we felt an overwhelming sense of peace that he is where he wants to be, and KNOW that the heavens were a bit brighter that evening.
We also do not doubt that his son (who passed away a little over 2 months ago) was not happily welcoming him home.
~
As we get ready to attend his funeral services tomorrow, and be reunited with close family- we look forward to the celebration of his life as we remember one of the GrEaTeSt.(Grandpa and Grandma Sorensen were one of the few who were able to fly out to our sealing in the DC temple--here they are sitting at our luncheon that same day October 21, 2000)
He was one of the greatest "salt of the earth" men I have ever met. I remember my first impressions (and still) of Grandpa was that he was one of the best looking older men I have met. I always told Dan that I hoped that he aged as well as his grandfather had. I also remember that I rarely saw him without a smile on his face. He was always sitting back in his chair with that simple smile of his. I remember he had wrinkle lines from smiling and I thought that was a wonderful way to grow old. He never got ruffled or impatient-he just sat back and enjoyed whatever was going on around him. He was simple and happy. He looked great in a cowboy hat!
(Grandma and Grandpa walking into the DC temple the day of our wedding. We were so grateful they could celebrate with us)
I know I am going to find out so much more about his life, as I entered it later on. But I always knew he and his wife loved the gospel because they had served 2 missions overseas to share it. They always attended the temple, attended their meetings,held callings, and served.

(You can see Grandpa laughing in the background behind the car- as I always remember him)
I know that Grandpa raised most of his family in Winslow. He was a HARD worker and worked long hours for little pay. However, he always provided for his family's needs, and I keep hearing stories how he would deliver milk to those who could not afford it and other random acts of unselfish kindness. As you probably gathered,he was the "ice cream man" in Winslow and was an independent distributor with his own truck route.
~
I know he loved hunting and being outdoors, mostly with Dan's dad and boy cousins. I know he wanted to take our little guys on his little boat to ride down in the river..and we never got too.
My kids remember him as the Great Grandpa who has the coolest playhouse in his backyard (that he made, I believe) it even comes complete with a mini piano. The boys also remember watching the trains at the depot when we have gone to visit.
(visiting Grandpa and Grandma in Winslow on our way to moving to Arizona from Houston)

(4 generation shot on Ryland's blessing day- L to R: Dan Sorensen, Great Grandpa Bert Sorensen, Grandpa Doug Sorensen, Ryland Sorensen (on his lap)

I know travel probably was not easy at an older age. But I really feel like Grandpa and Grandma have made an effort to be at all the BIG events of our family.

That is the reason we will mourn-is our loss of his physical presence in our life. If we did not know there was a better place it could be devastating. But we DO, so we will just be selfish and be a little sad that we cannot see him with our eyes for a time. We miss you already Grandpa!

Grandpa has lived a wonderful life and has seen all his children grown, serve missions, attend school, and get married, as well as most of his grandchildren. He has seen many great grandchildren born. He has a beautiful posterity. He has left a Legacy that we will always treasure. We LOVE YOU!

Here is a link to his obituary in the Arizona Republic below:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=bert-ray-sorensen&pid=131416399

3 comments:

Marcus, Amy, and Lola said...

this is a very sweet post alicia! you are always so good. i was thinking the other day about him and i was thinking, also, how he ALWAYS had a smile on his face. so sweet. he will be missed. wish we could be there today.

Dawn said...

thank you for your very wonderful post; your feelings and your comments and your pictures. Thank you for coming to the funeral...it is at times like this that you really realize how important families are. He will be missed alot...

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh what a sweet post Alcia. It sounds like he was a wonderful man that will be very missed! My great-grandma lived in Winslow for a long time before she died...I wonder if they knew each other?