Friday, September 5, 2008

Can You Whistle?!!!

So today while I was picking up my children from a friends home, I kept hearing someone whistling. It sounded like they were in my car OR really nearby. I kept looking around trying to find the person whistling...and finally found the sweet old lady across the street whistling while she was doing yard work. This reminded me of a conversation I had with my husband on our way to the temple on Saturday.
MY HUSBAND CAN'T WHISTLE? I was astonished when I first discovered this while dating. I did not know it was possible to not know how to whistle. How can anyone go through the scouting program, or childhood without whistling? My husband surely did with very happy memories. How can anyone be a dad and not be able to call his kids? Well my hubby sure does.
Was it because he was never taught? because he never tried? I don;t have any memories of someone specifically sitting me down to teach me to whistle....then I found out HIS MOM CANNOT WHISTLE either. Hmm....it began to make me wonder if it is a genetic thing. I realize this is really NOT a big deal--I was just super surprised to learn that there are some people who just CAN'T WHISTLE. I even practiced with my hubby in the car to see if I could coach him into it. He has a small mouth, does that matter? IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO CAN"T WHISTLE? I am super curious to find out.
But for now he will just have to settle for this form of whistling below....

11 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

So interesting! I've never heard of this either--only people that can't roll their tongue. M & M TOTALLY want to learn how to whistle and practice all the time--i think they're getting close. So can Colton & Sterling? They might be too young still, but it's worth a shot to see if the genes have passed on or not! =)

Aaron & Jayme said...

I have never been able to whistle! Aaron's tried to teach me but it's just not clicking!

Emily said...

Today i watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids, with my kids and the boy, Russell Thompson(the neighbor boy) can't whistle either. (well in the movie) I don't know if NOT being able to whistle was actually one of the "abilities" or lack of I should say, that they were looking for, for that particular part. Did what I said just barely even make sense? I think that it's getting late.

Marcus, Amy, and Lola said...

i cannot whistle either!! hahah...
but i can definitely roll my tongue, so i don't think that's why.

Pam said...

I can only "whistle" if I suck air in, instead of blowing it out. And it only lasts for a couple seconds before I run out of lung space for air. :)

Pam said...

This is actually Angie (of Justin and Angie). I'm at my parents house in Tucson and apparently am signed in under my mom, too lazy to change it.

kerri said...

i can whistle- but it took a LOT of practice. and according to the dougster, i'm still not very good. but HE is an EXPERT whistler. maybe dan just got the Wrong genes. and apparently amy too?

Selena and Russ!! said...

Ya, i can't whistle either. It's really not as weird as you think. we no-whistlers did were not deprived as children. we found new things to do that others could not do. nest time we meet you will have to see "selena's famous tongue tricks" it was a whistle filler.

Megan said...

I can't whistle?! I just always thought that some people could and some couldn't. I just really never felt the need to learn?!

You are a funny gal!

Tara said...

It's starting to make sense. I THOUGHT I could whistle (my dad whistles like most people sing). Then when I started dating Ryan (also an avid whistler -- he just laughed at me!) He says I can only whistle "Jingle Bells" with one note for the entire song.

Julie Hoggard said...

Shiloh can't whistle either, I tried to teach him once and he ended up spitting in the car. After a good laugh he didn't want to try again.